Wednesday, December 8, 2010

What I Have Learned - Take Forty-Three

I have learned that sometimes all you can do is say 'I tried'.

Oh the many ways I could continue this post.  I giggle as I write this because normally my posts have hidden meanings, and emotional feelings, and sappy endings.  I could probably tie this to some portion of my life to make it thoughtful and sentimental.  Uncharacteristically of me though, this is only about my petty annoyance for the month.

Because it is late, and no one is probably reading this for the stupid details - I will make it a short story.  My neighborhood HOA has been without a Social Committee for 9 months.  Not for lack of volunteers, but more for lack of actually calling upon those who have continually volunteered - myself being one of them.  After being called out at our annual meeting for this issue, the HOA comprised a list of all such volunteers and sent out a mass email.  According to their email, we were to meet, elect a Chair, and submit that name to the Board for approval.  I contacted everyone on the list, held a meeting, asked for volunteers for Chair, stepped up since no one else wanted to, and we submitted my name to the Board.  In the meantime we began planning a Christmas Party.  I submitted a budget to the Board for the party, went back and forth with them about what they wanted vs. what we, as a Committee, wanted.  Long story short, because my ideas differed from the Board's, I was told 'your services are no longer needed - we have appointed someone else as Chair and they will take over planning the party'.  And seriously, what it came down to was the Board wanted to purchase a cheap Santa suit at Walgreens for $12.99, and I wanted to get a nicer one.

Anyway.... So after a month of spending way more time than I needed to, waaaaaaaay more time than I intended to, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more time than I even had - I was relieved from my volunteer duties.  I am angry, bitter, and more than a little frustrated. 

And all I can say is 'I tried....'

No comments:

Post a Comment